CGI Artworks

latest private work

Hope ( Day )
“Hope” is a result of the Lighting Challenge 24 on CGTalk. The originally name of the 24th Challenge was “The Cabin”. As usally for those challenges, you get a scene provided. In this case Andrew Kin Fun and Dan Konieczka provided a scene for the challenge. Because i was not so happy with the scenery and the typ of scenery i wanted to do, I just used the cabin model from the original scene and build a new scenery. I did additional modeling on the scene, and used also some additional assets from different free internet sources. I also used displacement and normalmaps in this work. Textures and Background Plate were done in Photoshop, for shading i used internal proprietary LS3D Production Shader for Mental Ray by Dirk Bialluch. For most control in Nuke I rendered out 12 additional layers in Mental Ray and put all the stuff back together and tuned it all till i was satisfied. The Lighting of the scene is pretty easy stuff done by one keylight and GI Skydome.

 



Hope ( Night )
Pretty much the same progress then in Hope Day Version. Coz i had some time left in the challenge, i decide to make a night looking version of the scenery. I used 21 additional layers in compositing for different changes and tunings or adding stuff. The scene has 31 lightsources, 4 Main Lights and 27 additional fillers, rims, kickers and bounces. The scene has a polycount of 3.1 million triangles without displacement.


Frozen
Another piece I created in my sparetime. I started this piece 2 weeks before christmas 2009. At the beginnung I did a scene layout in maya and blocked out the hero elements like the church, and the bridge. After that i started modeling, texturing and shading every single object in the scene. I also did many research on the tir with snow in the foreground, to archive the best possible look. The overall scene is really heavy and has around 120 Million Polygons. Because the scene was so heavy i need to work with a proxy like approach. For my luck, the MR Proxy stuff doesnt worked out, because of a bug in memory management and using as a instance, so i need a new way. I build lowres representation models for the tirs and replicate them via instancing. I switched the lowres tirs via pre render melscript to the highres ones. That way i had a good performance in the viewport, and highres tirs later in the render. The overall scene has just 1 Sunlight, a few extra lights and final gather for the lighting. For this project I used our internal shader lib done by Dirk Bialluch.


Abandoned Corridor
I created this piece in my sparetime and it tooks me around 2 weeks to finished it. I used Maya 8.5, Photoshop and Fusion for compositing. I create several materials and textures for every object to archieve a old forgotten look. For the lighting i create and choose a dark mood. Lighting is one key light and rendered with final gather. A seperate ambient occlusion pass adds extra details to the scene, and reduced rendertime equal to highquality FG.


Haunted Hallway
This scene is originally coming from a CGTalk Lighting Challenge hosted by Jeremy Birn. I took the scene after a while the challenge already finished and rebuild the scene and added many extras. I created this piece in my sparetime and it tooks me around 4 weeks to finished it. I gathered many reference photos for inspiration of mood and texture. I started blocking the lightmood and than started detailing and texturing the scene. After everything was finished I finalise the light. I used Maya 8.5, Photoshop and Fusion for compositing. For the lighting i used many spotlights and volume lights and rendered the pictures with basic mental ray setup with no use of GI or FG. A seperate ambient occlusion pass adds extra details to the scene. Original Scene credit goes to Dan Wade.


Railroad
This scene was a quicky. I started to work on this scene at a sunday morning the 17.08.2008 at around 10 a.m and finished it monday morning, 1 a.m on the 18.08.2009. This scene is a typical example of my personal tryouts. There was no idea behind it, i just started the scene with some stuff in mind i wanna test. I used Maya for the modeling, shading and lighting. Photoshop for the textures and Fusion for the compositing. Rendering was done with Mental Ray. I lit the scene with maya basic lighting tools and rendered several passes for comp. The final result was done in compositing.


Film Noir
This is my finished work for the Lighting Challenge 15 on CGTalk hosted by Jeremy Birn. The scene was provided by Greg Sandor. I did additional modeling on the scene to increase the quality a bit. I used Maya for the modeling, shading and lighting. Photoshop for the textures and Fusion for the compositing. Rendering was done with Mental Ray. I lit the scene with maya basic lighting tools and have done few fx layers for the rain and smoke. The final result was done in compositing. Final entry was a black and white film noir style image.